- Exercise for the simultaneous work of two large muscle groups
- Technique of the exercise:
- The first version of the exercise: breathing pullover or with back support on the bench
- Second option: lower back without support
- Common mistakes
Beginners, for the most part, do not look very attractive: narrow shoulders, thin legs, and arms, on which there is no hint of biceps, sunken chest and spine with signs of curvature.
This is a gentleman’s set of modern youth, which is corrected by the trainers of gyms. Beginners who realize that they have problems begin to work hard on them. They take a course of young pitching, which consists of exercises identical in all gyms: they press a bench on a bench, lift a barbell and dumbbells, etc.
Meanwhile, mentors forget that they are dealing with a growing organism, which has not yet closed growth zones. This means that adolescents need to be given, in addition to the compression load, which includes deadlift, squats, etc., also one that will help affect the internal volume of muscles. This includes pullover exercise, performed to build the chest.
In order to get relief chest, you need a pullover exercise, which you need to start doing on time – from 15-20 to 27 years. When you are “late” with the pullover exercise, the chest does not gain the desired volume. Adolescents who have started the pullover exercise before the age of 20 are able to achieve an increase in chest muscle volume by 3-5 centimeters, especially if you combine the exercise with breathing squats. Muscle growth during training is up to 70%, and 30% of the growth is due to bone growth.
Pullover exercise for the simultaneous work of two large muscle groups
Pullover exercise is the only one among the basic ones, thanks to which it is possible to load the muscles of the chest and the broadest backs at the same time. Involved in it are triceps, intercostal muscles, biceps, dentate, diaphragm, partially shoulder muscles and brachialis.
This demonstrates muscle atlas:
The work of the muscles looks like this:
- at the starting point, the muscles of the chest and triceps are stretched; the broadest are involved in work as soon as movement begins;
- during a raise of hands from behind the head, the following are connected: triceps (stressfully contracting) and chest;
- chest loads get a stronger load when the arms reach the upper point (vertical position).
The broadest spinal muscles are connected. From the side, the training looks funny, but the exercise leads to the destruction of muscle fibers in the chest area (cells), as a result of which the muscle mass grows during the recovery period.
There are several options for the exercise:
- lying with dumbbells back on a bench or on a Swiss ball (lower back is not supported);
- lying (the lower part of the body should also be on the bench). It is called a “breathing” pullover;
- with a barbell on a horizontal bench;
- standing in the block simulator;
- on the bench with your head tilted down.After reviewing the theory, it’s time to study technology.
Db pullover technique
To expand the chest, it is important to master the only sure way to exercise pullover. The most common version of the pullover exercise is the classic one: on a bench with a dumbbell and barbell. Other variations are not much different from it.
Before proceeding to the training, it is important to learn how to feel the target muscles involved in the work: the dentate anterior and the broadest. To achieve this, stand upright, straight arms (palms down) stretch in front of you, with your chest forward. Raising your arms slowly up, stretch out like a string. Also, slowly lower your hands, trying to catch the work of the muscles listed above.
The first version of pullover exercise: breathing pullover or with back support on the bench.
The main thing when doing this exercise is to understand that it is not weight that matters, but stretching and forced breathing.
Take the starting position:
- Take the weight with a grip shoulder-width apart, lie with it on the bench (along), with your feet resting on the floor.
- Lift up and hold the projectile (arms straight).
- It should be located above the sternum.
- Slowly lower the projectile behind your head, performing a “heroic” breath at the same time.
- Straighten the ribs, lower the sports equipment to parallel with the floor (or below).
- Swallow air again.
- Holding up in the lowest position for a second, return to the starting point, exhaling.
- You need to focus on forced expiration and stretching of the chest.
Important: do not bend your arms at the elbows throughout the pullover.
It should turn out, as in the picture below:
To make the exercise more “breathing”, it is recommended to perform a squat approach with a barbell or dumbbell (2 or 3 sets of 10 repetitions). At first, you can not take weighting materials, but use your own weight.
It turns out that at first the “breath” is loaded, then, without doing rest, the pullover is executed. Training productivity is enhanced by the bursting effect. If dizziness occurs due to the low fitness of the cardiovascular system, execution must be stopped.
Second pull over option: without support.
- Take a dumbbell weighing no more than 10 kilograms, put the shell on the bench, and yourself lie on it perpendicularly.
- It turns out to be a kind of bridge, one leg of which is standing on the floor at an angle of less than 90 degrees feet, the second shoulders.
- After that, put a dumbbell on your chest, put it in a hard lock and place it over your chest on straight arms.
- The pelvis is lower than the shoulders, so the entire load will go to the latissimus dorsi.
Technique of execution:
- Take the projectile from the SP behind the head on bent elbows.
- Lower the shell as low as possible in an arc and at the same time take a deep breath.
- Having felt that the widest ones have been stretched as much as possible, right there along the same trajectory begin the reverse movement to the SP, performing exhalation on the force.
Important: The hips are motionless when lifting and lowering the weight. To enhance the stretching of the pectoral muscles. When inserting a projectile behind your head, lower your pelvis down.
If all the rules are met, then you get something similar to the picture below:
Lat pullover common mistakes
When performing the pullover exercise, the following errors are made:
- take heavy weights, forgetting that this is not the main thing in the pullover. The weight of the burden lies in the range from 10 kg to (maximum) 16;
- overbending in the lower position. You can’t touch the floor with a shell and you don’t need to put it behind your head very low;
- the bridge with the “respiratory” pullover is unacceptable, since it is fraught with lower back injuries; not observing breathing techniques. In order not to feel dizzy, do not hold the air; incorrect setting of the feet and hips. In order not to get injured and not to reduce the productivity of the pullover, do not lift your hips from the bench as it is forbidden to tear off your feet from the floor.
The number of repetitions is 10-15, and the number of approaches is 2-3. We must not forget about preliminary fatigue, i.e. performing squats, leg presses in the simulator, which increase the effect of chest expansion.
For those who doubt the productivity of the exercise, a historical reference:
In the period called the “Golden Age” for bodybuilders, there was a fundamental bundle of three things that they never forgot about: pullovers, squats and milk. Then it was believed that with the help of a bench press, the chest becomes flat, because it constantly experiences a compressive load. Pullover exercises that stimulate the growth of muscle fibers and increase the depth of the chest muscles and the top give a completely different type. Below is a photo report in which Schwarzenegger does this exercise.
This should convince those who doubt the usefulness and productivity of the training. If this is not enough, there are still significant arguments: studies conducted in which a person performing a pullover was connected to a “smart” device revealed which muscles are affected by the pullover exercise.
Pectoral muscle is most active during the execution of the pullover, the “absorbing” load is more active than others. The largest share is 10% of its indicator. In addition, it was found that in the upward (concentric) phase, muscle activity is higher than during eccentric. After that, it seems, no one had any doubts. Pullover is a useful and productive exercise for the chest.